Recommended Books on Making Natural Dyes and Pastes
- The Modern Natural Dyer by Kristine Vejar
- Journeys in Natural Dyeing by Kristine Vejar and Adrienne Rodriguez
- Natural Color by Sasha Duerr – has wonderful Projects!
- Handbook of Natural Plant Dyes by Sasha Duerr – what to expect from what plants and mordants
- Harvesting Color by Rebecca Burgess – mostly wool projects
- Wild Color by Jenny Dean – shows the plants and their colors with mordant variations
- The Bible of natural dyeing: The Art and Science of Natural Dyes by Joy Boutrup and Catharine Ellis.
- Tasha Griffith Website – Tasha introduced me to printing pasters from natural dyes. She also teaches some only workshops since COVID-19.
- Botanical Colors How To-s
- Rebecca Desnos dyer and writer from the UK, has an extensive website on natural dyeing.
- Check out the videos by Botanical Colors in Seattle – since the beginning of the pandemic, they have consistently presented a wide array of artists, scientist, makers, indigo specialists, historians, pigment makers – and so on and on – who talk about some aspect of botanical dyeing. It’s called Feedback Friday, and you can watch the recorded Zooms here. Every Friday at 9AM PST you can watch the newest presentation. I’m hooked! They have a shop with everything from dye plant seeds, extracts, mordants, inks, books, and workshops.
Handout for “